A beard without mustache is a look many men consider for a variety of reasons. For instance, some men simply prefer the look of a beard without a mustache, while others do not like the inconvenience of dealing with a mustache when drinking coffee, eating soup or having a beer. (To clarify, in our opinion wiping some suds off your mustache is one of the awesome features of having a mustache!) But let’s face it. Certainly one of the reasons men decide to sport a beard with mustache is to impress a woman.
There is nothing wrong with that. Above all, the bearded life is open and requires that you adhere to your own personal style and preferences, despite what mainstream society may tell you. So work that beard without mustache if that is what you want! Here are a few styles we’ve found, but feel free to add your favorites in the comments below. We’ve also included some beard tools to help you keep your beard in tiptop shape for the women.
The Soul Patch
The easiest beard without mustache to maintain is the Soul Patch. In short, all you need to do is grow a patch of facial hair below your bottom lip.
To clarify, there are variations of the Soul Patch, depending on how long you prefer to grow it. For example, you can keep it short and tight toward your bottom lip, or you can grow it all the way down to the bottom of your chin. You can also keep it wide or thin, or shape it in a rectangle, square or triangle. Hell, you can shape it differently each month if you prefer. Consequently, if you do decide to include a mustache with your Soul Patch, you could go for the Imperial Beard or any of the other beard types that rock a mustache.
Maintenance can be a bit of a pain, though, as you have to keep the rest of the face completely shaven. Otherwise, the Soul Patch won’t stand out on your face. This beard without mustache style also tends to lose its punch with the presence of stubble. So a make sure you have a good razor in your arsenal.
The Chin Strap Beard without Mustache
The Chin Strap is another common beard without a mustache. For example, as a traditional beard without mustache, the Chin Strap features clean-shaven cheeks, upper lip and neck. The typical Chin Strap consists of a narrow field of facial hair that hugs the chin and follows the jawline to the sideburns. The Chin Strap works well with a diamond, square, round, or oval face.
It helps define a strong jawline, but pulling this style off requires straight lines and neat edges.
Above all, regular maintenance is key. That is to say, plan to use an electric razor to keep your Chin Strap tight to the face and uniform. And use a razor to maintain it’s shape along your jawline. Beard balm should be used to tame any flyaways.
The Chin Curtain
Some often refer to the Chin Curtain as the Amish beard (sometimes also called the Shenandoah). With a Chin Curtain, grow the facial hair out from the ears along the jawline before filling out in a full, lengthy beard at the chin. The length of the beard can grow to considerable lengths, and of course the area above the lip is clean-shaven. You don’t have to be Amish to wear the Chin Curtain, though. Abraham Lincoln, who was not Amish, sported a pretty sweet Chin Curtain. A Chin Curtain looks best on men with oval-shaped faces, and especially if with a larger face.
Maintenance is somewhat similar to that of a Chin Strap. Plan to use a razor to keep the Chin Curtain tight to your jawline. You’ll need an electric razor/trimmer, but more to shape the lower part of your Chin Curtain than to maintain its uniform length since length will vary. Beard balm is useful in taming flyaways, as well as helping shape the Chin Curtain.
The Dutch Beard
The Dutch Beard can be thought of as a variation of the Chin Curtain, but is typically flared at the bottom. To grow a Dutch Beard simply grow out your beard and shave the mustache off. Then trim the long beard so the bottom part appears squared off. Dutch beard style is similar to a full beard, without the mustache and with a square bottom. Styling is easy, especially if you use some beard balm. Grow the beard to a decent length, grooming it to keep it trim and neat. If you decide to grow out your mustache with this beard style, you basically end up with a Garibaldi.
To maintain your Dutch Beard, use a razor to keep the upper chin and the area above the lips clean shaven. An electric razor can help keep the bottom of your beard flat and bulbus, and also help keep the overall shape of your beard. (We wonder what the Amish use in place of an electric trimmer!) Beard balm is really useful when shaping the Dutch Beard,
The Goatee Beard without Mustache
Think of a Goatee as a Soul Patch that extends down to encompass the chin. Goatees are usually shorter in length, measuring around a half-inch to one inch.
Plan on a fair amount of grooming to maintain your Goatees. An electric trimmer is key to trim your goatee. A trimmer or razor is also helpful in keeping the outline tight. Beard balm helps shape the beard and keep it styled throughout the day.
5 Recommended Tools for Maintaining a Beard without Mustache
Just like their mustachioed counterparts, men who grow a beard without mustache find their facial hair requires some upkeep. To keep lines tight and style perfect, invest in quality trimmers. A sharp razor also helps square away loose hairs as well. And to keep your beard styled, whether you include a mustache or not, good, quality beard balm is essential. Don’t settle for any cheap beard balm that contains harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients, though. Use a quality beard balm, made with 100% natural and organic ingredients, like Beard Balm by Mossy Beard. Our beard balm will help you style your beard, as well as hydrate it and protect it from harsh environments.
1. Disposable Razors
Nothing beats the convenience of disposable razors to shave parts of the face. Simply use until the razor starts to dull, and then replace the razor. Here are three options that are sure to give you a close shave while not breaking the bank.
Gillette Fusion5 Men’s Razor Handle + 4 Blade Refills
- Refills fit all Gillette 5-blade razor handles (excluding GilletteLabs)
- Lubrication strip fades when you are no longer getting an optimal shave
- 5 antifriction blades provide a shave you can barely feel
- Soft microfins help to smooth and stretch skin before the razor blades preparing hairs to be cut
- Up to 1 month of shaves with each refill
Harry’s Razor Set with 3 Razor Blade Refills
- Includes 3 razor-blade refills, travel blade cover and 4oz shave gel
- Rubberized matte exterior, textured grip pattern, and weighted core for maximum grip and control
- Great gift idea
Schick Hydro 5 Sense Razor
- Handle and 17 refills
- Razor auto adjusts based on how you shave, backing off if you’re applying too much pressure, or adding back when you need it
2. Safety Razors
Safety razors require a bit more skill to use, but it’s really not that difficult. Plus it’s manly! Here are some cool options.
Vikings Blade “The Chieftain” Double Edge Safety Razor
- Badass blade made from heavy-duty materials and coated in chrome
- Great balance, and it takes just 5 seconds to change out the blade
- A great gift idea
Weishi Long Handle Butterfly Double Edge Safety Razor
- Long, non-slip handle
- Simply twist the bottom to change the blade
Shaving Revolution Long Handle Double Edge Safety Razor
- Butterfly open razor
- Includes 10 Japanese stainless steel double-edge safety razor blades
3. Shaving Cream
Regardless of the razor you use, applying a quality shaving cream to your face is a must. Here are three good options, even for those with sensitive skin.
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Sensitive 2 in 1 Shave Gel
- Ocean Breeze
- 6 Ounce
- Pack of 2
- Gel gauge lets you see when the gel product is running out
NIVEA MEN Sensitive Shave Gel
- 3-pack of 7oz cans
- Beard shaving gel for men fights irritation from shaving, burning, micro cuts, dryness, tightness and stubble itch
- Improves Razor Glide: A men’s shave gel that improves razor glide and softens the stubble for a comfortable, close shave
- Enriched with Vitamin E, natural Chamomile extract and Witch Hazel extract
Edge Extra Moisturizing Shave Gel for Men
- 6-pack of 7oz cans
- Vitamin E creates a soothing shave experience
- Special moisturizers and lubricants provide unbeatable razor glide
- Conditioners give your face a refreshing coolness
4. Electric Beard Trimmers
Electric beard trimmers help define the edges of your beard without mustache, and they also help shape your beard. A good pair of clippers are essential in getting rid of bad growth areas and keeping the shape of your beard neat.
Philips Norelco All-In-One Beard Trimmer
- 13 attachments for all of your grooming needs: Full-size steel trimmer, a steel precision trimmer, a nose and ear hair trimmer, 3 hair trimming guards, 3 beard trimming guards, a stubble guard, an accessory travel storage bag, and a cleaning brush
- No oil needed
- Steel blades sharpen themselves as they work, resulting in blades that remain as sharp as day 1 after 2 years of use
- Blades and guards are easy to detach and rinse
Wahl Groomsman Battery-Powered Beard, Mustache, Hair & Nose Hair Trimmer
- Stainless-steel blades stay sharp
- 14 trimming lengths from 1/16” to 1/2”
- Battery powered for cordless convenience
- Comes with bonus nose & ear trimmer with rinsible head
Remington All-in-One Grooming Kit
- Includes a full-size trimmer, foil shaver, nose/ear/detail trimmer, hair clipper comb and a storage/travel pouch
- 8 length settings
- Can run for up to 65 minutes on a single charge
- Attachments are washable, which makes cleaning easier
5. Beard Balm by Mossy Beard for Your Beard without Mustache
Nothing helps keep your beard healthy, protected and looking its best than quality beard balm. Our beard balm is 100% natural and organic. And by keeping your beard healthy and clean, you’ll help your beard grow to its full potential.
Beard Balm by Mossy Beard
- 100% natural and organic
- Moisturizes, nourishes and protects your beard so it grows
- Adds hold to your beard to make styling easier
- Attractive 2-oz tin
Small Business Marketing provided by the Penn Marketing Agency
No responses yet