Looking for an easy beard balm recipe? As you grow out your new beard, eventually you’ll need a little help taming flyaways and shaping your beard, which is the perfect job for beard balm. However, many men are intimidated by the prospect of making their own beard balm, which is why we’re providing an easy DIY beard balm recipe you can make in your own home.
Want an easy list of ingredients to make your own beard balm? Certainly, see our handy list of beard balm recipe ingredients and tool at the bottom of this post.
What is Beard Balm
Before we get into how to make beard balm, let’s spend a moment discussing what beard balm is. Certainly, beard balm is used to help style and tame your beard. Firstly it has a soft-to-firm consistency and usually comes in a tin or jar. Beard oil, on the other hand, has a liquid-like consistency and usually comes in a bottle.
Beard balm can provide additional benefits than just helping shape your beard, though. For example, quality beard balm will actually help you protect your beard, and provide your beard the nutrients it needs to thrive. Some quality beard balms, like Beard Balm by Mossy Beard, also come in pleasant-smelling scents that make your beard irresistible. Finally, by keeping your beard hydrated, protected and clean, a beard balm with all-natural ingredients can help you grow your beard to its full potential.
How to Make Beard Balm Recipe
Making your own beard balm isn’t as simple as stirring up some beard oils or just buying some from your favorite beard balm company. So make sure you allow some extra time for the process, especially for your first batch. Above all be patient and learn from your mistakes. That is to say it might take a few batches to get things right. Certainly, making a good quality beard balm requires patience, skill, and trial and error.
Beard Balm Recipe Ingredients
Here are a few items you’ll need to make your own beard balm. The recipe below will offer up some suggested measurements for each ingredient, but feel free to experiment with the ratios. To clarify, the main ingredients you’ll need are below. Some may be hard to find locally, so we’ve linked to our top picks for each ingredient:
- 2oz (60ml) Shea nut butter
- 3oz (90ml) Cocoa butter
- 2oz (60ml) Beeswax
- 0.67oz (20ml) jojoba carrier oil
- 0.33oz (10ml) castor carrier oil
- Optional: About 10 drops of essential oils, such as peppermint, lavender, sandalwood or other scents, depending on how you want your finished beard balm to smell
You’ll also need some tools to help you make your own beard balm, such as:
- Kitchen scale to measure your beard balm ingredients
- A stove or some other heating element to melt your ingredients
- Pot to warm your ingredients, preferably a steamer pot
- Metal tool for blending
- Tins to store your finished product
Homemade Beard Balm Tip 1: Above all, don’t use wooden utensils. Wood is porous, and the beard balm as well as the scents will penetrate the wood, leaving a smell and residue that will be very difficult to remove.
DIY Beard Balm Recipe Steps
- Firstly, turn your stove on its LOWEST heat with your pot over it
- Secondly, add your Shea butter, cocoa butter and beeswax, allowing them to melt slowly. Mix the Shea butter, cocoa butter and beeswax they are completely dissolved.
- Once you shea butter, cocoa butter and beeswax are liquefied, add carrier oils (jojoba and castor)
- Mix again
- Add your essential oil(s). Counting the drops you use is easier than measuring a specific amount. However, if you want to be consistent, measure the amounts rather than count drops.
- Allow the beard balm concoction to warm for a few seconds after adding your final beard balm ingredients and then turn off your stove
- Get your tins ready. You don’t want the beard balm to cool. If it does, the beard balm could harden in your pot. If that happens warm up your beard balm again, but be very careful to not burn it.
- While it’s still warm and liquefied, carefully place your beard balm in your tins
- Cool your beard balm at room temp. You may be tempted to put your finished beard balm in a fridge or cooler, but you risk your beard balm cooling too quickly. If your beard balms does cool too quickly, you’ll end up with beard balm that is brittle and flaky.
Homemade Beard Balm Tip 2: If you don’t have a kitchen scale to measure your ingredients, you could use measuring spoons. This method isn’t as accurate, but if you’re making homemade beard care products, accuracy isn’t something to stress about too much.
Is Making Your Own Worth It?
Making your own beard balm can save you come cash over the long haul. While buying the ingredients and dedicated tools may cost more initially than buying a finished product, you could potentially save a bit if you produce beard balm in bulk. The initial purchase of your beard balm recipe ingredients can last years rather than the 2-3 months a pre-made beard balm may last you.
However, you should to account for waste, mistakes and batches you simply do not like. This is especially true in the beginning as you become familiar with how to brew your own beard balm and define what you like. (Certainly, there will be a lot of trial and error as you develop your own beard balm.)
Better Alternative to Making Your Own Beard Balm
If you want to cut to the chase and get your hands on quality beard balm you can trust and know it is 100% organic and natural, consider Beard Balm by Mossy Beard. Above all, our beard balm is made from the best ingredients available, and our beard balm will not irritate sensitive skin, damage your beard or dry out your skin and beard. In fact, our beard balm will nourish, moisturize and protect your beard from harsh chemicals and environments.
Beard Balm by Mossy Beard
- 100% natural and organic
- Moisturizes, nourishes and protects your beard so it grows
- Adds hold to your beard to make styling easier
- Attractive 2-oz tin
Beard Balm Recipe Ingredients & Tools List
Making beard balm requires a sense of adventure. Making beard balm you actually want to use requires the right ingredients and tools. We’ve curated a pretty nice list of our favorites below to make it easier for you.
Organic Shea Butter
- 1 lb package
- 100% pure
- USDA certified organic Shea butter 1 lbs 100% Pure and Natural, Raw Unrefined Shea Butter
- Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals – No Added Scents or Preservatives. No Additives.
- Loaded with Natural Vitamins A, E, Natural Antioxidants and Fatty Acids for Maximum Natural Moisturizing
Organic Cocoa Butter
- Certified organic coca butter bar: Large Size 16 Ounce Non-Deodorized Pure Raw, Rich In Antioxidants From The Dominican Republic
- Pure cocoa butter: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
- A Very Rich and Natural Moisturizer. Cocoa Butter is solid at room temperature and will melt to the Touch of Your Fingertips and It Will Naturally Soaks Into Your Skin.
Organic White Beeswax Pellets
- Contains: 1 x 16 oz. pouch of Organic White Beeswax Pellets
- 100% pure, USDA Organic, and responsibly sourced
- Natural Aroma: Made without additives or synthetic ingredients, White Beeswax Pellets maintain their natural, mild scent
- High Quality: Sky Organics White Beeswax Pellets are all-natural and triple-filtered
Organic Jojoba Oil
- 4-fl-oz bottle
- 100% pure, certified organic oil derived from the seed of the jojoba shrub
- Non-GMO project verified: Its high stability, invigorating scent, and cosmetic versatility make it ideal for all skin and hair types
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
Organic Cold-Pressed 100% Pure, Hexane-Free Castor Oil
- 16oz bottle
- USDA-certified organic, cold-pressed, 100% pure castor oil with no added ingredients, fragrance, alcohols, or preservatives
- Responsibly sourced and 100% vegan and cruelty-free
Essential Oils 10-Piece Set
- Ten individual 10mL bottles of premium essential oils: peppermint, lemon, rosemary, orange, eucalyptus, lavender, clove, ylang ylang, patchouli and geranium
- Also suitable for diffusion, vaporizing, inhalation, cleaning, massage, oil burner, home care (bedroom, living room, bathroom, study room), office (workstation, conference room), outdoors, campground, yoga room, car and spa
Digital Multifunction Scale in Grams and Ounces
- Ash Grey
- Readings down to the gram, an 11-pound capacity, and easy-to-read display
- Simplistic, modern design fits the décor of any space
Steamer Pot, 3-Quart
- 3-Quart Dutch oven with steamer basket
- Stainless steel
- Dishwasher-safe/Hand wash recommended
Stainless Steel Stirrers with Small Rectangular Paddles
- Package includes five (5) stirrers
- Made of 304 stainless steel
- Dishwasher safe, reusable and easy to clean
Beard Balm Tins, 2 oz Aluminum Screw Lid, 12 Pack
- Aluminum, Pack of 12, Color: Silver, Size: 2.67 in” dia. x 0.98 in” height, Capacity: 2 Ounce / 60 ml.
- The screw-top lids make sure you tighten the lid easily and will not let the content leak out
- These screw-top lids of containers have no sharp edges, all edges are rounded to prevent scratching your hand
Small Business Marketing provided by the Penn Marketing Agency
No responses yet